The Maple Ridge Museum, also known as the Maple Ridge Museum and Community Archives, is a local museum located in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada. It is dedicated to preserving and showcasing the history, heritage, and culture of the Maple Ridge community. more here
Here’s some information about the Maple Ridge Museum:
- History: The Maple Ridge Museum was established in 1977 by the Maple Ridge Historical Society. It is housed in the Haney Heritage Village, a historic site that features a collection of heritage buildings, including a general store, schoolhouse, church, and other structures that depict the early settlement history of the region.
- Exhibits: The museum features a variety of exhibits that highlight different aspects of Maple Ridge’s history. These exhibits cover topics such as the First Nations presence in the area, early pioneer life, logging and forestry, transportation, agriculture, and the development of the community over time. The displays often include artifacts, photographs, documents, and interactive elements that provide a glimpse into the past.
- Haney Heritage Village: The museum is located within the Haney Heritage Village, a living history site that recreates a typical early 20th-century village in the region. Visitors can explore the village and its buildings, which are furnished and decorated to reflect different periods in Maple Ridge’s history. The village provides a unique and immersive experience of the community’s past.
- Community Archives: In addition to the museum exhibits, the Maple Ridge Museum houses a community archives section. The archives preserve and maintain historical records, photographs, maps, and other documents related to Maple Ridge’s history. Researchers, genealogists, and community members interested in local history can access these resources for educational and research purposes.
- Educational Programs and Events: The museum offers educational programs and events for visitors of all ages. These may include guided tours, workshops, lectures, special exhibitions, and interactive activities designed to engage and educate visitors about the community’s history and heritage. The museum also collaborates with schools and community organizations to provide educational outreach programs.
- Gift Shop: The museum has a gift shop where visitors can find a selection of books, souvenirs, and locally-made crafts related to Maple Ridge’s history and culture. It offers an opportunity to take home a memento or a piece of local heritage.
The Maple Ridge Museum plays a vital role in preserving and sharing the rich history of the Maple Ridge community. Through its exhibits, archives, and educational programs, it offers visitors a chance to connect with the past, appreciate the community’s heritage, and gain a deeper understanding of the region’s development over time. view more