Golden Ears Provincial Park is a vast wilderness park located in the northeastern part of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada. It is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. more here
Here’s some information about Golden Ears Provincial Park:
- Location and Size: Golden Ears Provincial Park covers an area of approximately 62,500 hectares (154,000 acres). It is located about 11 kilometers north of Maple Ridge and is situated between the Fraser River and Alouette Lake. The park is part of the larger Coast Mountains range.
- Natural Beauty: The park is known for its stunning natural beauty and diverse ecosystems. It features rugged mountain peaks, deep valleys, dense forests, and picturesque lakes. The most prominent peak within the park is Golden Ears, which stands at 1,716 meters (5,630 feet) and gives the park its name.
- Outdoor Recreation: Golden Ears Provincial Park offers a wide range of recreational activities for visitors to enjoy. Hiking is particularly popular, with a variety of trails ranging from easy walks to challenging multi-day hikes. Some notable hiking trails include the Golden Ears Trail, West Canyon Trail, and Alouette Mountain Trail.
- Camping: The park provides camping opportunities for those who want to spend more time immersed in nature. There are three campgrounds within the park: Gold Creek Campground, Alouette Campground, and North Beach Campground. These campgrounds offer a range of facilities, including picnic areas, fire pits, and pit toilets.
- Alouette Lake: Alouette Lake is a significant feature of Golden Ears Provincial Park. It is a large freshwater lake that offers opportunities for swimming, boating, fishing, and picnicking. The lake is surrounded by beautiful scenery and is a popular spot for relaxation and water-based activities during the warmer months.
- Wildlife and Nature Viewing: Golden Ears Provincial Park is home to a diverse array of wildlife and provides excellent opportunities for wildlife viewing and nature photography. Visitors may encounter animals such as black bears, cougars, deer, beavers, and various bird species. It is important to observe wildlife from a safe distance and respect their natural habitat.
- Winter Activities: In the winter months, Golden Ears Provincial Park offers opportunities for activities such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. The park’s trails transform into snowy wonderlands, providing a peaceful and serene setting for winter outdoor adventures.
- Park Facilities: The park provides basic amenities and services for visitors, including parking areas, pit toilets, picnic areas, and interpretive signage. However, it is important to note that the park is a wilderness area, and visitors are encouraged to be prepared, practice Leave No Trace principles, and bring their own supplies.
Golden Ears Provincial Park is a cherished natural gem in the Maple Ridge area, offering a range of recreational opportunities and breathtaking scenery. It is a place where visitors can immerse themselves in the beauty of nature and enjoy outdoor adventures throughout the year. view more